Thanks for coming by to see how I made the fabric leaf to go on my swatch pumpkin. It is very easy and uses the smallest of scraps.
Welcome back! Thanks for coming by to see how I made the pumpkins from fabric swatches.
As I mentioned, I had tons of fabric swatches that I had collected over the years and true to form, I simply could not throw them away. After years of collecting, the light bulb went off one day and I came up with these little swatch pumpkins as a way to use all my samples.
I actually did it! In all honesty I didn’t think I would write for the entire 31 days of the challenge. I couldn’t imagine that I would have enough to say and complete enough projects to feature. In my head, I had even planned what to say about not posting all of the days. Thankfully that unwritten post was filed in the trash.
Look what I won in a random drawing of the participants – a wonderful leather journal that will inspire me to continue to write!
Admittedly, I did have a number of the projects finished before I signed up for the challenge, but only enough for just shy of a week’s worth of posts. I kept my nose to the grindstone however and came up with enough content for the entire month. And you know what? I have more thoughts brewing in my head.
After the first half of the month, I sat down for a brainstorming session and came up with additional ideas, some of which I did not have time to get to. So those will happen and I will show them to you.
Happy Halloween everyone!
Although this has nothing to do with my topic of the month, “(Re)Purposed Sewing”, I couldn’t close out the month of October without sharing some holiday related images.
Last year I stopped in a great antiques market just to stroll through and soak up some inspiration. Enjoy!
Well, did you guess at the material I used to create this version of patchwork pumpkin?
Yes, fabric swatches started it all.
Back at it today with a different type of pumpkin – the one that started this whole addiction of mine. Put your thinking caps on and guess what I (re)purposed to make this little beauty.
Even though I have finished the (re)purposed projects with the vintage quilt [at least for now], I have a few more items to show you that involve reusing fabric for purposes that was not originally intended.
A co-worker was moving and cleaning out to lighten the load for the cross country move. A friend of his, who worked for a national furniture chain, had passed along upholstery samples for which I became the lucky recipient.
What, you ask, to do with fabric samples? Well that’s a silly question; you know me better than that! Make pumpkins of course!
Don’t you just love this little pink chenille number? She’s cute and prissy with that lace collar. She looks so much like those velvet pumpkins that are so trendy right now. The lace comes from my friend’s mother’s sewing stash. I love it!
This project is the last I had planned for my (re)purpose vintage quilt series. I had a few small projects that I just didn’t have time to get to. Most of my sewing takes place on the weekend as does laundry, house cleaning, grocery shopping, etc. Therefore all the planned projects on my list had to be completed this weekend since next Saturday is the last day of the Write 31 Days challenge. Due to the above list of must-dos, today’s project is the last one of the quilt (re)purpose that I have to showcase.
Much like the state of Georgia applique that I made for the pillow cover, I free-hand sketched a deer head (very trendy these days), and traced it onto a piece of the patchwork vintage quilt to which I had ironed some interfacing on the back. I cut it out and set my machine to the blanket stitch and stitched it to a piece of leftover osnaburg fabric.
Halloween is this week and you know what that means – Christmas is just around the corner! I have already started seeing Christmas items in stores for at least the last two weeks. Hence the inspiration for today’s (re)purpose project from the vintage quilt.
The body of the stocking is made from leftover curtain lining. I would have preferred to use drop cloth because it is more folksy like the patchwork but I used all that up with the other projects.